The Unusual Ef’Pod is back but this time, Sonja and Jessie have been left alone without Kirsten to keep them in line . . . and it shows! S & J take responses about the strangest times our listeners woke up to watch soccer matches, but in between, they meander through discussions on Michael Bradley,* the overwhelming joy of women’s national teams, and Antoine Griezemann’s dentist. No, really.
*Editor’s note: had Kirsten been on the pod, such discussion would never have been tolerated.
We also invite all #Effortistas to gather together wherever they are for watch parties, get-togethers, drink-raisings, and footy-friendships for the WWC, Copa America, heck, even a latte; we’re building community here and you’re a part of it!
Listen with acast (or download using your favorite podcast app–we can be found under “Man on the Post,” and you should be sure to give their other shows a listen as well!) (Sonja would like us to specifically mention Stitcher) and let us know what you love about the Ef’pod, or chime in on what you’d like covered on upcoming pods.
(PS–we’re having a sale on our merch because we love you and we want you in UE gear for the World Cup this month!) (PPS–Threadless always exaggerates the amount of time shipping will take!)
Unusual Efforts Women’s World Cup Community Building
- We have ambassadrices (thank you Philippa for introducing us to this word; read about what our Montpellier ambassadrice is doing) who will be in most World Cup cities, or roaming to follow their team of choice. They will be coordinating get-togethers and generally talking up how amazing the #Effortista community is.
- That being said, we still need more people willing to spread the word–we want committed #Effortistas to talk about the fact that there’s a site, and a podcast, and a community that is created for and by women and non-binary persons, and it can either give you a start in football media, or simply a platform for a story no mainstream outlet will accept. If you’re going to France in the later rounds and want to be an ambassadrice, hit us up ASAP and we’ll send you free swag.
- If you are not going to France, we are sad for you. We are not going either. But we are looking for #Effortistas to ambassadrice the hell out of whatever country they’re in. Going to watch parties in Chicago? Hit us up. Organizing a get-together in London? Tell us. Congregating in Nigeria, Korea, Argentina, Jamacia, or one of the many other countries that just aren’t getting enough love for this tournament? We especially want to hear from you!
- If you are organizing a watch party or get-together, and you want to bring a little Unusual Efforts love to that gathering, please tell us so we can add it to our spreadsheets (words cannot describe how much Megan loves to put together a spreadsheet) and then get the word out to #Effortistas about where they can watch the World Cup with like-minded persons.
- Look (listen). We want to cover this tournament as deeply and as widely as we can. But our four-umverate (feel free to tell us the real word) won’t be in France, and considering we all have approximately 4-6 jobs, we cannot tweet every match. Want to tweet one? Or more? Tell us now! You don’t even have to be unbiased–you can show your love for your team, and give the world a little trivia that most people don’t know. We’ll even put you on another spreadsheet!
- And finally, we want to show the world how #Effortistas all over the globe are celebrating the Women’s World Cup. That’s why we want every match illustrated on Instagram. Whether you’re at the match itself or stuck watching from half a world away, we want to show your experience. Again, spreadsheets. Want to take over our Insta? We’ll send you the spreadsheet link and you sign up for the match you want to cover.
Whew. That’s a lot.
TL; DR: We want #Effortistas from all over the world to come together for the Women’s World Cup. You can be actively spreading the word in France or telling people about us over a beer while watching a match. You can tweet for us or you can take over our Instagram. Just tell us ASAP how you’d like to be involved!